• At the July 12 meeting, President Rick read a thank you letter from The Dayton Foundation for the $5,000 donation that the club made to The Polar Bear Fund.
• Speakers are scheduled for the next two meetings. Larry Hermann, Head PGA golf professional at Miami Valley Country Club will speak at the July 19 meeting, and on July 26, Northridge Schools Superintendent Dave Jackson will address the club.
• The August 2nd meeting will be devoted to planning for the September 23 golf outing fundraiser (see below).
Club meetings will resume on Tuesday, July 12, after this week's holiday break. The meeting will be at Brixx at Noon as usual.
The speaker at the meeting on Tuesday June 28 was Brittini Long of HAALO, a program provided by Montgomery County Juvenile Court in partnership with K12/TEJAS Gallery to expose court-involved youth to different mediums of art while also teaching them life skills that will assist them in being successful members of our community. "HAALO" stands for "Helping Adolescents Achieve Long Term Objectives". This program was started in 2010 and emphasizes "building assets" for youths that are at risk. By looking for the good in kids, the program seeks to give them a chance to build relationships with the community, to build self esteem, and it offers them a safe place to go. Various activities such as drawing, painting, pottery, mosaics, sculpture, poetry, spoken word, dance, and music offer them constructive avenues of expression.
The Mural Project is perhaps the most visible aspect of the HAALO program, with nine major murals, either completed or in process, decorating various buildings in the community. A prominent example can be seen on the K-12 building on South Patterson Blvd. Many of the murals are in neighborhoods where beautification of the area is much needed. Some of the funding for HAALO comes from the Montgomery County Juvenile Court Foundation, but they can always use more donations in the way of money, materials, and volunteers. And they are always looking for new locations for mural projects. Brittini encouraged Northridge Optimist members to be on the lookout for potential locations in the Northridge community.
Also present at the June 28 meeting was Kelly Forsythe, the representative from the Firefighter Phil program, who presented a certificate of thanks to President Rick and the club for our support of the program in the past. The Harrison Township Fire Department conducts fire safety programs in elementary schools, with different programs tailored for each age group. They also distribute a Firefighter Phil Activity Book geared for each of the various age groups. Club members voted to renew our 1/6 page ad in the booklet.
Two Northridge Optimist Club events were featured in the May issue of the Northridge Schools publication "Dividends". There is a story about the Pass/Shoot/Dribble basketball skills contest, and an article about the Optimist Essay Contest. Both stories are accompanied by photos. Download a copy of this issue by clicking on the button at the right reading "Northridge Optimist Club in the News", and then selecting the button for the May 2016 issue of "Dividends". It can also be downloaded from the Northridge Schools website.
Some links of interest to the Northridge area are posted in the panel at the right (see the red buttons under "Other Northridge Links"). They are for The Northidge Alumni Bear Facts website, the Northridge Schools website, and the Northridge Schools facebook page. One good way to show support of the community is to patronize the alumni businesses that are listed on the alumni website: http://www.northridgealumni.org/id11.html.
• July 12: Open
• July 19: Speaker - Larry Herrmann, PGA Head Golf Professional at Miami Valley Golf Club
• July 26: Speaker - Northridge School Superintendent Dave Jackson
• August 2: Golf Outing Preparation
• August 9: Open
• August 16: Open
• August 18 (Thursday): Ohio District Optimist Golf Outing
• August 23: Pending
• August 30: Pending
• Sept. 8: Pending
• Sept. 13: Speaker - Zachary Hoffman, Public Information Officer of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
• Sept. 20: Golf Outing Preparation
• September 23 (Friday): 33rd Annual Scholarship Scramble golf outing fundraiser
• Sept. 27: Last meeting of 2015-2016 Oprimist Year
• October 4: NO MEETING (in lieu of Presidents Club event on Oct. 6)
• October 6 (Thursday): Presidents Club of Dayton 2016 Citizen Legion of Honor Award Luncheon
• October 11: Open