Next Week: The meeting for March 24 will be at Northridge High School for the Optimist Essay Contest awards. It will be held in the Community Room, with lunch beginning at 11:30 AM.
March 31: The meeting on Tuesday, March 31 will be held at Brixx Ice Co., 500 E. First St. , in the upstairs room.
Pass/Shoot/Dribble: (Update as of 3-16-15) The annual Pass/Shoot/Dribble basketball skills contest for kids was held on Saturday, March 14, 2015. It was held at the Northridge High School gym. Kids competed within their own age groups, and trophies were awarded for first, second, and third places in each of six age groups. All contestants received a free event t-shirt. The contest consisted of dribbling through a course of safety cones (a timed event), shooting from various spots on the floor, and passing to a stationary target. There were over forty contestants this year.
Thanks to everyone who came to help out, and especially to all of the contestants who participated and for the invaluable support of the NHS Athletic Department, the high school players who helped with the contest, and the school staff.
Photos will be posted on the Pass/Shoot/Dribble page under "Activities" in a few days. Check back later by CLICKING HERE.
Essay Contest: The 2014-2015 Optimist Essay Contest has been completed at the club level. The judging has been completed and the winning essay sent on to District competition. The winners of the club level contest will be announced, and awards given out, at our club meeting of March 24 which will be held at Northridge High School at 11:30 AM. The meeting will be in the Community Room. For more information on the contest, see the Essay Contest page under "Activities".
Golf Outing Fund Raiser: The date of the 32nd Annual Scholarship Scramble golf outing fund raiser is Friday, September 11, 2015. "Save the Date" information is posted in the "Activities" section: /scholarship-scramble-fundraiser.html and a downloadable "Save the Date" flyer is available there. More details, such as cost, starting time, sponsorship levels, etc. will be decided on later and posted at that time. Photos and information from last year's event are also available on that page.
| || |
New Links: Some new links of interest to the Northridge area are posted in the panel at the right (see the red buttons under "Other Northridge Links"). They are for The Northidge Alumni Bear Facts website, the Northridge Schools website, and the Northridge Schools facebook page. The Northridge Alumni organization lists our club information in their "Support Groups" section and they also have a "Northridge Optimist Club" page in their menu, featuring our Membership Invitation Brochure. They have also featured our Pass/Shoot/Dribble and Scholarship Scramble items under the "Events Calendar" in their menu, and posted Pass/Shoot/Dribble information on the Northridge Schools facebook page. Many thanks to the Northridge Alumni organization for their support and for helping to promote our club events. We plan to provide information on their events on our Bulletin Board and in our e-mail bulletin. One good way to show support is to patronize the alumni businesses that are listed on their website:http://www.northridgealumni.org/id11.html. Be sure to visit the Northridge Alumni Bear Facts website to learn more. (You can also click on the logo at the left).
(Meeting locations are currently being revised - see notations below, and check schedule weekly for updates)
* See location notations below
• March 14: (Saturday) - Pass/Shoot/Dribble contest at Northridge H.S. gym (see report above)
• March 17: Speaker - Gerry Chadwick and Jim Zahora, DRMA (at Shiloh Grille, 5515 N. Main St.) (Cancelled)
• March 24: Essay Contest Award Luncheon at Northridge H.S., 11:30 AM
• March 31: Speaker - Jon Faulker -Estate Planning *(location at Brixx Ice Co., 500 E. 1st St., Dayton, OH 45402)
• April 7: Speaker - Rick Elworth, a policeman's perspective of 9/11 *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• April 14: Speaker - Judy Hennesy, Dayton Early College Academy (DECA) *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• April 21: Speaker - Gary Smiga, College Promise *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• April 28: MVCTC Scholarship Awards Luncheon at Miami Valley Technology Center, 11:45 AM
• May 5: Open - speaker needed
• May 12: Open - speaker needed
• May 19: Open - speaker needed
• May 26: Open = speaker needed