October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2020
Current Club Schedule:
Meetings on Tuesdays at Noon, held at Brixx Ice Co.,
500 E. 1st St., Dayton, Ohio 45402, unless otherwise indicated.
Please check club website bulletin board weekly for updates.
(No club meetings during the holiday weeks of Christmas and New Years Day)
• December 10: Open
• December 14 (Saturday) Denny Mantel Christmas Sharing Program
• December 17: Open
• December 24: NO MEETING - Holiday Break
• December 31: NO MEETING - Holiday Break
• January 7: Open
• January 14: Open
• January 21: Open
• January 28: Open
Update of December 4, 2019:
• Club members approved an amount of $1875 in grants from the Northridge Polar Bear Foundation Fund. This fund is an endowment with The Dayton Foundation for funding school related programs in the Northridge School system that are not covered by school district budgets. Grants are awarded three times a year, and this is the first round of grants for this school year. This cycle of grants helps support a recognition program for academic excellence in the senior class, a "great books" program for 4th grade language arts, and another book program for 7th graders. (See more on the Polar Bear Fund page on this website).
• The Riverdale Optimist Club hosted members of Northridge Optimist Club and Dor-Wood Optimist Club at their annual Thanksgiving week meeting on Tuesday, November 26 at the Masonic Center. Riverdale president Donna Matheney welcomed everyone to the meeting and led the group in a couple of Thanksgiving songs. Everyone enjoyed a delicious Thanksgiving style meal.
• Members of Dor-Wood Optimist Club announced their annual Christmas Tree sale which begins on November 29 at the corner of E. Stroop and Marshall Roads in Kettering, from 11AM to 9PM. This fundraiser supports the Dor-Wood club's youth projects. See more at www.dorwood.org
• Many thanks to the Riverdale Optimist Club for hosting the meeting, and to Charlie Campbell for a fun and entertaining presentation.
• The meeting of November 26 will be held at the Masonic Center, as we are visiting with the Riverdale Optimist Club for their annual Thanksgiving week meeting.
• Have a Happy Thanksgiving on the 28th!
• Members enjoyed a great program at the November 19 meeting with guest speaker Tom Nichols, Director of Media Relations for the Dayton Dragons. Tom, best known as the broadcaster of Dragons games, entertained the members with his baseball stories, and updates on the continued success of the franchise. During 20 seasons of continuing a string of 1385 consecutive sell-outs the Dragons, an historic record in all of North American sports, the team has sent 102 of its players on to the major leagues. Tom's baseball talk is always interesting, and he led a discussion about current and former team players. He presented a baseball trivia quiz, and rewarded winning members with Dragons bobble-heads and ball caps.
• Tom pointed out how the Dragons present an on-field product that appeals not only to hardcore baseball fans, but also to casual fans and families, with lots of fun activities and entertaining aspects such as the team's mascots. He also stressed how the club's efforts go well beyond baseball with its community participation and involvement. Examples are a memorial tribute event that was hosted by the Dragons after the Oregon District shooting tragedy, and a naturalization ceremony that was conducted on the field at a game.
• Many thanks to Tom for a great program!
- Details and the shopping location for this year's event will be announced later.
* Update of October 14 - The November 5 club meeting will be held at The Dayton Foundation at 1401 S. Main Street from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM. There will not be a meeting at Brixx on that date.
Northridge Alumni website:
Some links of interest to the Northridge area are posted on the Bulletin Board blog page, in the panel at the right (see the red buttons under "Other Northridge Links"). They are for The Northidge Alumni Bear Facts website, the Northridge Schools website, and the Northridge Schools facebook page. One good way to show support of the community is to patronize the alumni businesses that are listed on the alumni website: http://www.northridgealumni.org/id11.html.
This page contains postings for the current Optimist year which goes from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020. See the Bulletin Board Archives blog page for archives of previous bulletin board postings. To review the club events and activities from the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 Optimist years, see the "ARCHIVES: PREVIOUS POSTINGS" in the right hand column of that page, and click on the "OCTOBER 2017" or "OCTOBER 2018" listing for the postings of those years. The archives also contain additional prior listings by month and year for prior years, as show in the list. The <<Previous link at the bottom of each page may also be used to navigate to prior postings on the Bulletin Board Archives page.
• October 1: (First meeting of 2019-2020 Optimist year) - Review of Golf Outing
• October 3 (Thursday): Dayton Presidents Club - Citizens Legion of Honor Luncheon
• October 8: Club Budget & Donation Planning
• October 15: Open
• October 22: Speakers - Carrie Dalrymple & Michelle Brown, The Dayton Foundation
• October 29: Open
• November 5: Open
• November 12: Open
• November 19: Open