Please note the changes that have been made to our meeting schedule and locations. Refer to the Current Club Schedule at the bottom of this page to check on updates. Check this Bulletin Board page weekly for current information.
Meeting Place Move:
Another good meeting at Brixx. The April 7 meeting was our second meeting at Brixx Ice Company, 500 E. First Street in downtown Dayton (across the street from Fifth/Third Field). We had another good turnout with nine members and one guest. The meals were again excellent, with each member ordering from the menu, which offers a very wide selection of choices. The venue is working out very nicely.
• The speaker at the April 7 meeting was Rick Elworth, a former City of Dayton Police officer. He spoke about some of the effects that the terrorist attacks of 9/11 had on the Dayton area and local law enforcement. At the time of the first reports of the attacks, the scope of the event was unknown, and all law enforcement personnel from the entire area were mobilized. He was part of a SWAT unit that was assigned to the Dayton airport. All US air space had been immediately closed, and there were 23 planes in the air that had to be landed in Dayton. The planes had to land one at a time so that they could be secured properly. Rick described the chaotic situation in which the SWAT teams, untrained in this type of activity, unloaded each plane one person at a time and proceeded with closing and securing the airport. Their personnel continued on 16 hour shifts for the next three days that the airport was closed, and then on 12 hour shifts for the next two weeks. Among the many ways in which the event was a turning point was the type of training that law enforcement personnel now receive.
The date of the 32nd Annual Scholarship Scramble golf outing fund raiser is Friday, September 11, 2015. The promotional flyer/registration form, and the sponsor sign-up form are now posted on the website for downloading in the "Activities" section (CLICK HERE) or below.
Outstanding Club Member Awards:
Coming up in May is the Presidents Club Outstanding Club Member Breakfast. Each year the Dayton Presidents Club hosts a breakfast meeting to honor outstanding members of all service clubs in the Dayton area. Mike Gorman and Chris Young are the recipients from our club this year. The event will be on Thursday, May 14 at 7:00 AM at the Presidential Banquet Center, 4548 Presidential Way, Kettering, OH 45429. Tickets are needed, so please conatact President Alan if you wish to attend. (There will not be a regular Tuesday that week, in lieu of this Thursday event).
• The 2014-2015 Optimist Essay Contest club level awards were presented at our club meeting of March 24 at Northridge High School. A full report, with a photo slide show, can be seen on the Essay Contest Page under "Activities". Click here to go directly to that page.
• The annual Pass/Shoot/Dribble basketball skills contest for kids was held on Saturday, March 14, 2015 at the Northridge High School gym. Kids competed within their own age groups, and trophies were awarded for first, second, and third places in each of six age groups. • A photo slideshow is posted on the Pass/Shoot/Dribble page under "Activities". See that page by CLICKING HERE.
Some links of interest to the Northridge area are posted in the panel at the right (see the red buttons under "Other Northridge Links"). They are for The Northidge Alumni Bear Facts website, the Northridge Schools website, and the Northridge Schools facebook page. One good way to show support of the community is to patronize the alumni businesses that are listed on their website: http://www.northridgealumni.org/id11.html. They also offer an interesting history of the Northridge Community called "From Ebenezer to Northridge" by Richard D. Allen on this link: http://www.northridgealumni.org/id68.html. Be sure to visit the Northridge Alumni Bear Facts website to keep up with events in the community.
(Meeting locations are currently being revised - see notations below, and check schedule weekly for updates)
* See location notations below
• April 14: Speaker - Dr. Judy Hennessey, Dayton Early College Academy (DECA) *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• April 21: Speaker - Gary Smiga, College Promise *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• April 28: MVCTC Scholarship Awards Luncheon at Miami Valley Technology Center, 11:45 AM
• May 5: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• May 12: No Meeting this day (see information regarding Presidents Club on May 14)
• May 19: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• May 26: Open = speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• June 2: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• June 9: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• June 15: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• June 22: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)
• June 29: Open - speaker needed *(location at Brixx Ice Co.)