• Latest Announcements:
• Sept. 28 - 34th Annual Scholarship Scramble Golf Outing (CLICK HERE)
• November 21: Club visit to Riverdale Optimist Club
• October 24: Open
• October 31: Open
• November 7: Open
• November 14: Open
• November 21: Visit to Riverdale Optimist Club (no meeting at Brixx)
• November 28: Open
• December 5: Open
• December 12: Open
• December 16 (Saturday): Denny Mantel Christmas Sharing Program
The 2017 event was held at Miami Valley Golf Club on Thursday, September 28. See the 2017 Scholarship Scramble page for a report on the event, with pictures, and a list of the many sponsors and donors for this year's event. Many thanks to the golfers, sponsors, donors, and volunteers who made this possible and have helped make it possible to provide more scholarships for Northridge students.
Also see the listings under the "Activities" menu above for more about the scholarships and youth projects that this event benefits.
Click the button on the left to see the Scholarship Scramble page.
• The new Lt. Governor for Ohio Optimist District, Zone 11, Judy Martinson, visited our club at the Sepember 26 meeting. Judy is a member of both East Dayton Optimist, and Kettering Noon Optimists. She wished our club luck in the upcoming golf outing, and as Lt. Gov., will be available to assist our club with District questions.
• SCHOLARSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT - Club President Chris Young has announced that the annual Cargill scholarship that is given in conjunction with the Northridge Optimist Scholarship Awards is being dedicated in the name of Sharron Braun who passed away in September. It will now be known as the Sharron Braun/Cargill Scholarship. Sharron was retired from Cargill and was a former member and past president of the Northridge Optimist Club. Sharron made many contributions to the club over the years, including developing the Cargill/Northridge Optimist Scholarship program, so it is very fitting that the award carry her name. The scholarships will continute to be given annually to two students selected from Northridge High School. The award for each student is $1,200 each per year, for a period of two years, in Scholarships to Sinclair Community College.
• "Optimist Kid's Day in the Park" is a program, sponsored by Kettering Noon Optimist Club, which presents a day with a multitude of fun activities for kids, Kindergarten to 8th Grade, held annually at Delco Park at 1700 Delco Park Drive, in Kettering. This year the event was held on Saturday, August 5, with over a dozen Optimist clubs participate by each setting up their own event for kids to enjoy.
• Northridge Optimist Club participated in the event, and the activity presented by our club was rocket launching. The rockets that the kids launched were made of light weight material and were launched by compressed air that the contestants pumped up themselves. Prizes of rockets kits were awarded to kids whose rocket landed in a hula hoop target. In addition there were demonstration launches of fuel propelled rockets (one every hour). Nearly 500 kids attended the event on a beautiful day. The kids enjoyed the launchings , and the club members and volunteers were happy to see the kids have so much fun with the rockets.
• "Optimist Kid's Day in the Park" is a program, sponsored by Kettering Noon Optimist Club, which presents a day with a multitude of fun activities for kids, Kindergarten to 8th Grade, held annually at Delco Park at 1700 Delco Park Drive, in Kettering. Over a dozen Optimist clubs participate by each setting up their own event for kids to enjoy. Northridge Optimist Club is planning to participate at the 2017 event which will be held from 9AM to 1PM on Saturday, August 5. Kids must be accompanied by parent(s), grandparent(s) or guardian(s).
• The planned activity presented by our club will be rocket launching (compressed air powered). The Northridge Optimist Club encourages families in the Northridge area to bring their K to 8 kids to the event and to visit the Northridge Optimist activity, along with the many other activities.
• Click on the image at the left, to download an event poster. For more information see the Kettering Noon Optimist website at
Some links of interest to the Northridge area are posted in the panel at the right (see the red buttons under "Other Northridge Links"). They are for The Northidge Alumni Bear Facts website, the Northridge Schools website, and the Northridge Schools facebook page. One good way to show support of the community is to patronize the alumni businesses that are listed on the alumni website: http://www.northridgealumni.org/id11.html.
• Randy described the evolution of the Parachute Museum, starting with a donation to Aviation Trail of the Dave Gold Parachute Collection, donated by the Gold estate upon his death in 1985. Dave Gold was a parachuter, rigger, and had a business selling, servicing, designing, and testing parachutes, and an archiver of parachute history. It took years to catalog the materials,to develop museum space, and to create a display area in the Aviation Trail Visitor Center. In 2015 the Parachute Museum celebrated its fifth year of being open to the public. An article on the anniversary can be found seen on this link: http://www.aviationtrailinc.org/single-post/2015/09/07/Parachute-Museum-Anniversarywww.aviationtrailinc.org/single-post/2015/09/07/Parachute-Museum-Anniversary
• More information on Aviation Trail can be see on the ATI website at http://www.aviationtrailinc.org which includes information on the Parachute Museum. Information on the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park can be see at https://www.nps.gov/daav/index.htm The museum is located at 16 South Williams Street, Dayton OH 45402.
• The speaker at the July 11 meeting was Mike Schulz of the Mission of Mary Cooperative. Mission of Mary Cooperative is a non-profit organization that works in east Dayton. It was founded by a small faith community of lay Marianists who lived in the Twin Towers neighborhood. The organization primarily focuses on the issues of food and economic social justice especially the issues of healthy food affordability and access. The work done at Mission of Mary aims to provide tangible benefits for the people of the community as well as the vacant and forgotten land of the neighborhood. Numerous programs at Mission of Mary occur throughout the year to grow and distribute nutritious food as well as educate neighbors about healthy and sustainable lifestyles. It also operates a CSA program that sells below market price to families in need, and at market price for others.
• The club presented a donation of $100 to Mission of Mary at the meeting.
• To learn more about Mission of Mary, donation opportunities, and the CSA program, visit the following websites:
• Plans for the Scholarship Scramble will be discussed at the June 20 meeting, in preparation for the club meeting at Miami Valley Golf Club the following week.
• The club meeting on June 27 will be held at Miami Valley Golf Club (no meeting at Brixx that week).
• Club business discussed at the meeting included the Polar Bear Fund, the Scholarship Scramble golf outing fundraiser, and the Optimist Kids Day in the Park. (See the schedule below).
Club members devoted the May 23 meeting to preparation for the Optimist Kids Day in the Park event to be held on Saturday, August 5, 2017. The meeting was held at Delco Park, where the event itself will take place, so that some trials of the activity could be done on location. Things went well, and the club will continue with preparation for our participation in the event. For more information on "Optimist Kids Day in the Park", see the report under the "Update of April 18" (below) on this Bulletin Board.
The meeting of Tuesday, May 23 will be held at Delco Park in Kettering at 11:00 AM. Members are to bring their own lunches. The meeting will involve preparation for our Optimist Kids Day in the Park participation in August (see the story below).
There will NOT BE A MEETING AT BRIXX that day.
• Northridge Optimist Club welcomed our newest member, Danielle Smith of Titan Graphics.
• The Northridge Optimist Club Scholarship Committee has completed the selection of the club's scholarship awards, which will be presented at the Northridge High School Awards Ceremony on May 31. The Optimist scholarships will be a total of $10,400 this year, distributed among ten students.
Two Northridge Optimist Club members were recognized at the annual Presidents Club Outstanding Member Breakfast on Thursday, May 11. Rick Snider and SueEllen Legg were honored as our Outstanding Members for 2017 at this event held at the Presidential Banquet Center. Congratulations to Rick and SueEllen.
Left: Rick and SueEllen with their Presidents Club citations.
The Miami Valley Career Technology Center featured a story on the Northridge Optimist Club scholarship presentation to two of its students in an MVCTC website news artticle. Use this link to see the article: http://www.mvctc.com/news/article/1102
Pictured below, club president Christopher Young presents the Scholarship Certificates to Kristin and Richard.
Each year the Presidents Club of Dayton recognizes Outstanding Members from numerous service clubs in the Dayton area. A breakfast meeting is held in honor of these members who are chosen by their respective clubs to receive this award from the Presidents Club. Northridge Optimist Club members Rick Snider and SueEllen Legg will be honored as our Outstanding Members for the 2017 President Club award at the event held at 7:00 AM on May 11 at the Presidential Banquet Center. Congratulations to Rick and SueEllen.
• The 37th Annual Bob Chiles Golf Classic will be held on Friday, May 12, 2017. This is presented by the Presidents Club of Dayton in conjunction with The Miami Valley Military Affairs Association. The event is a fundraiser for the WPAFB Fisher/Nightingale House. It will be held at Twin Base Golf Club with check in time at 8:15AM, and tee off at 9:00AM. The cost is $100 per golfer, and includes greens fee, cart, dinner & goody bag. Registration deadline is April 28. For registration information see the Presidents Club website: http://www.presidentsclubdayton.org or contact Holly Beard at 937-572-3409.
• More information on Presidents Club events, and events of other area service clubs, can be seen on their newsletter, which can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.presidentsclubdayton.org/index.php/media-archive/current-newsletter.
A date has been announced for the “Clemens Cancer Challenge” taking place on June 10, 2017 at Miami Valley Hospital South, 2400 Miami Valley Drive, Centerville, OH 45459. This challenge, a scenic cycling and 5K run/walk, celebrates the inspiration and memory of those who have fought, continue to fight or have lost the courageous battle against cancer, including Richard and Nancy Clemens for whom the event is named. Proceeds from this event remain 100% local and will go toward cancer resources and the enhancement of cancer care for Miami Valley Hospital patients and families.
For more information go to https://www.mvhfoundation.org/events/clemens-cancer-challenge/
Meetings on Tuesdays at Noon, held at Brixx Ice Co., 500 E. 1st St., Dayton, Ohio 45402, unless otherwise indicated.
Please check club website bulletin board weekly for updates.
• October 4: NO MEETING (in lieu of Presidents Club event on Oct. 6)
• October 6 (Thursday): Presidents Club of Dayton Citizen Legion of Honor Award Luncheon; 11:30AM at Dayton Convention Center
• October 11: NO MEETING (in lieu of the Cargill Chili Cookoff event on Oct. 12)
• October 12: (Wednesday) Cargill Chili Cookoff
• October 18: Guest - Cherie Gentry, Governor, Ohio District Optimist & Installation of club officers
• October 25: Seven new Polar Bear Fund grant applications for club discussion
• November 1: Club website navigation tutorial
• November 8: Club business, and discussion of Christmas Sharing budget
• November 15: Speaker - Jenna Stites, Phd., Executive Director, Miami Valley Down Syndrome Association
• November 22: Meeting at Riverdale Optimist Club for Thanksgiving Week - Need a head count please!
• November 29: Club Business
• December 6: Open
• December 10 (Saturday): Denny Mantel Christmas Sharing Program
• December 13: Open
• December 20: Club Christmas Meeting
• December 27: NO MEETING - HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
• January 3: NO MEETING - HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
• January 10: Speaker - Ron Labatzky will be speaking at our meeting on Optimist Day at the Park
• January 17: Anne Pfeiffer, CEO of Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater Miami Valley
• January 24: Club Business
• January 31: Club Business
• February 2: International Optimist Day
• February 7: Speaker - Doug Myers of Cargill (postponed as of Feb. 6)
• February 14: Speaker - Samantha Redden, JDRF
• February 21: Red Cross CPR demo (meeting will begin at 11:00 AM)
• February 28: Essay Contest Report
• March 4 (Saturday): Pass/Shoot/Dribble contest for kids
• March 7: Optimist Essay Contest awards luncheon at Northridge H.S.
• March 14: Speaker - Doug Myers of Cargill
• March 21: Open
• March 28: Speaker - Monnie Bush, Victory Project
• April 4: SueEllen Legg - planning for Optimist Kids Day in the Park
• April 11: Club Business
• April 18: Speaker - Whitney Saleski, NAMI Montgomery County (The National Alliance on Mental Illness)
(also a few minutes of club business on the Kids Day planning - SueEllen)
• April 25: MVCTC Northridge Optimist Scholarship Luncheon, at MVCTC, 11:30 AM (no meeting at Brixx)
• May 2: Speaker - Eli Williams, Urban Lights Ministries
• May 9: Open
• May 11 (Thursday): Outstanding Club Member Breakfast (Presidential Banquet Center - 7:00AM).
• May 12 (Friday): Bob Chiles Golf Classic fundraiser presented by Dayton Presidents Club and MVMAA
• May 16: Open
• May 23: Meeting will be held at Delco Park in Kettering to prep for the Kids Day activity (11:00 AM)
• May 27 (Saturday): Optimist Day at the Dragons, 7:00 PM
• May 30: Open
• May 31 (Wednesday) Northidge High School Awards Ceremony, 6:00PM
• June 6: Review of Polar Bear Fund applications
• June 13: Open
• June 20: Planning for Scholarship Scramble
• June 27: Meeting at Miami Valley Golf Club (no meeting at Brixx that week)
> July 4: No Meeting - Holiday
> July 11: Speaker - Mike Schulz, Mission of Mary Cooperative
> July 18: Speaker - Randy Zuercher, Curator of Aviation Trail Parachute Museum
> July 25: Pending
> August 1: Club Business
> August 5: (Saturday): Optimist Kids Day in the Park
> August 8: Program - Bob Sheehan and Derrick Freeman
• August 11-12: Ohio District Optimist Convention
• August 16: Presidents Club Meeting
> August 22: Open
> August 29: Review Scholarship Scramble preparation
• September 5: Review Scholarship Scramble preparation
• September 12: Review Scholarship Scramble preparation
• September 19: Review Scholarship Scramble preparation
• September 26: (last meeting of 2016-2017 Optimist Year)
• September 28 (Thursday): Northridge Optimist Club 34th Annual Scholarship Scramble fundraiser
Begin 2017-2018 Optimist Year
• October 3: NO MEETING
• October 5 (Thursday): Presidents Club of Dayton Citizen Legion of Honor Awards Luncheon
• October 10: First Meeting of New Optimist Year
• October 17: Open
• October 24: Open
• October 31: Open
• December 16 (Saturday): Denny Mantel Christmas Sharing Program